Climate change and the Arctic. Security implications.
9 June 2023
9:30 – 15:00
Frank De Winne Auditorium, Royal Military Academy, Rue Hobbema 8, 1000 Brussels and online
Type of Event
The Arctic region is currently undergoing unprecedented changes that are affecting its physical, environmental, economic, and geopolitical realities. How do these developments affect security in and around the region? What impact do they have on governance and cooperation in the Arctic?
9:30 – 10:00 Registration
10:00 – 10:10 Introduction by Kurt Bogaert, Director of the Advanced Staff Course, Defence College
10:10 – 10:20 Video message from Ms Zakia Khattabi, Minister of Climate, the Environment, Sustainable Development and Green Deal
Panel 1: The Impact of climate change on Arctic security
10:20 – 10:35 Keynote speech by Marie-Anne Coninsx, Senior Associate Fellow at EGMONT
10:35 – 12:00 Expert panel and Q&A
- François Massonnet, Professor at Université catholique de Louvain (Picturing the Arctic of tomorrow: what the science says)
- Ms Katarina Kertysova, Policy Fellow at the European Leadership Network tbc (maritime security) tbc
- Ms Alexandra Middleton, Assistant Professor at the University of Oulu (sustainable economic development and maritime transportation)
- Ms Ionela Maria Ciolan, CEE Fellow at the German Marshall Fund of the United States (the role of NATO)
12:00 – 13:00 Standing lunch
Panel 2: Arctic Governance
13:00– 13:15 Keynote speech by Mr. Nicolas Gosset, Researcher at the Royal Higher Institute for Defence
13:15 – 14:45 Expert panel and Q&A
- Morten Høglund, Senior Arctic Official of the Kingdom of Norway tbc (Arctic governance bodies) tbc
- Ms Clara Ganslandt, Special Envoy for Arctic Matters, European External Action Service (EU perspective)
- Philippe Huybrechts, Professor at Vrije Universiteit Brussel (the role of science)
- Romain Chuffart, President and Managing Director at The Arctic Institute (Indigenous Peoples)
14:45 – 14:55 Reflection on key takeaways
14:55 – 15:00 Closing remarks
We thank you in advance for registering via the following link.
The link to follow the conference online : Youtube Live – Arctic Challenges & Climate Change Conference
Registration by Thursday 1 June 2023 at the latest is compulsory.
You are required to present a valid id when entering the premises of the Royal Military Academy.