Jean De Ruyt
Jean De Ruyt was formerly Ambassador of Belgium to Poland and Italy, Director General for Political Affairs in the Belgian Foreign Ministry and the Permanent Representative to WEU, NATO, the United Nations and the European Union.
He presided over the Committee of Permanent Representatives (COREPER) during the Belgian Presidency in 2010, and ended his diplomatic career as special envoy for the European External Action Service in 2011-12.
He is currently Senior Advisor to the global law firm Covington & Burling LLP, and advises governments and companies on their dealings with the European Union.
He is a member of the Belgian Royal Academy.
His publications include:
- L ‘Acte Unique Européen, Editions de l’Université de Bruxelles 1987, second Edition 1989
- European Political Cooperation towards a European Foreign Policy, Atlantic Council of the U.S., 1989
- A Minister for a European Foreign Policy, Schuman Centre, European University Institute, Florence, 2005
- Leadership in the European Union, Editions de l’ UCL 2015 (in French), Amazon Kindle, 2016 (in English)
- Various articles on European institutions, Foreign Affairs and Defense policy
- Stabilizing the European Continent: Reflections on the future of EU enlargement European Policy Briefs
- Secondary sanctions and multilateralism – the way ahead European Policy Briefs
- American sanctions and European sovereignty European Policy Briefs
- Is there an escape from ‘Ever Closer Union’? European Policy Briefs
- Who is leading the European Union? European Policy Briefs