Brigadier General Jo Coelmont is Senior Associate Fellow at Egmont Institute and Senior Fellow at Royal High Institute for Defence.
He retired from active duty on 1st April 2008 and left the reserve forces on 31 December 2012.
He was the Belgian Permanent Representative to the Military Committee of the European Union and the Western European Union and Military Advisor to the Belgian Ambassador to the Political and Security Committee of the European Union from January 2002 to October 2007. In April 2006 he was elected as Dean of the EUMC.
In 2000 he was assigned to the Private Office of the Minister of Defence as Military Advisor for European Security and Defence Policy in view of the Belgian Presidency of the EU during the second half of 2001.
In 1997 he was appointed to the Royal Defence Institute, first as military professor in the Department of Security and Defence Policy, later as head of the Air Force Department.
Upon graduation from NATO Defence College (Senior Course) in 1996, he became Deputy Military Adviser to the WEU Ambassador during the Belgian Presidency.
In 1993 he graduated from the Belgian Royal Defence College and subsequently was assigned to the Joint Staff – International Relations and Defence Policy Branch.
He began his career in the Air Force in 1974 where he held several functions at the level of an operational unit, the tactical headquarters and the Air staff.
He graduated in 1973 from the Royal Military Academy ( Master in Military and Aeronautical Sciences) and in 1985 from EHSAL (Economische Hogeschool Sint-Aloysius – Brussels, Master in Economic Sciences, orientation International Economics and Diplomatic Relations).
He is guest speaker at several European universities on issues related to European Security and Defence and Transatlantic relations. His recent research and publications have focussed on European Security Strategy.
- A “military pillar” in the European Union: Crisis management, Capabilities and Coherence (3 Cs) – And EU-US Cooperation (a 4th C) Security Policy Briefs
- A Brussels Declaration for an “Ever Closer Union” Security Policy Briefs
- Seven steps to European Defence, Transatlantic Equilibrium, and Global Europe Security Policy Briefs
- Ik weet wat quarantaine is. Zie het niet als onrecht en help elkaar Commentaries
- How will the coronavirus epidemic impact the European Union? Commentaries
- Will a European Security Council bring strategic relevance? Security Policy Briefs
- Will a European Security Council bring strategic relevance? Commentaries
- Commentary: An EU Security Council and a European Commissioner for Security and Defence: the final pieces of the Union’s Common Security and Defence Policy puzzle? Commentaries
- An EU Security Council and a European Commissioner for Security and Defence: The Final Pieces of the Union’s Common Security & Defence Policy Puzzle? Security Policy Briefs
- European Strategic Autonomy: which military level of ambition? Security Policy Briefs
- With PESCO brought to life, will European defence live happily ever after? Security Policy Briefs
- Permanent Sovereign COoperation (PESCO) to underpin the EU Global Strategy Security Policy Briefs
- After the EU Global Strategy – Consulting the experts – Security and defence Other publications
- The EUGS: Realistic, but not too modest, please Other publications
- The EU Global Strategy and Defence: The challenge of thinking strategically about means Security Policy Briefs
- Message to – and from – the European political leadership: Agreeing to disagree on strategy is a luxury the EU can no longer afford Security Policy Briefs
- Judy Asks: Is a European Security Policy Finally Possible? Commentaries
- European Strategy, European Defence and the CSDP Other publications
- An EU global strategy for foreign and security policy… and even defence Commentaries
- No prevention without defence Commentaries
- Judy Asks: Will Hybrid Warfare Defeat Europe? Commentaries
- Bluff poker of the Belgian Defense Staff? Commentaries
- CSDP: there is something there that was not there before Commentaries
- No Belgian armed forces is unaffordable Security Policy Briefs
- Wales, to spur on European defence Other publications
- What are the missing instruments to reach another level of European defence? Books
- Cardiff: Birthplace of a new Transatlantic Narrative? Security Policy Briefs
- Building European defence: an architect and a bank Security Policy Briefs
- A new ‘special relationship’ between Washington and Paris: undermining or underpinning the CSDP? Commentaries
- Defence: The European Council matters Security Policy Briefs
- The December European Council on security and defence. The desired outcome. A proposal for a “Memo” for your Head of State/Government Other publications
- Coelmont: the desired strategic outcome of the EU Council on defence Commentaries
- Coelmont: A memorandum for the European Council on Security and Defence Commentaries
- State of defence in Europe: state of emergency? Egmont papers
- Mehr Verantwortung in der Sicherheits- und Verteidigungspolitik. Wie sich GSVP und NATO besser ergänzen können Commentaries
- Coelmont & De Langlois: Recalibrating CSDP-NATO relations. A strategic pivot in the making? Commentaries
- European defence in times of austerity: are budget cuts a threat or an opportunity? Other publications
- Recalibrating CSDP-NATO relations: the real pivot Security Policy Briefs
- The Future of the Benelux Defence Cooperation Other publications
- A European global security strategy: offering seven-league boots to become a global actor Security Policy Briefs
- Mali: another European intervention without the EU? Security Policy Briefs
- Military capabilities: from pooling & sharing to a permanent and structured approach Security Policy Briefs
- Actualiteit Syrië: “Do something General!” Other publications
- An EU security strategy: an attractive narrative Security Policy Briefs
- Europe, strategy and armed forces – The making of a distinctive power Books
- Europe deploys towards a civil-military strategy for CSDP Egmont papers
- Pooling & sharing: from slow march to quick march? Security Policy Briefs
- Improvisatie enkel goed voor sensatie: eerst lessen na een week Libië Commentaries
- First lessons from the Libya operations Security Policy Briefs
- A strategy for CSDP. Europe’s ambitions as a global security provider Egmont papers
- Permanent structured cooperation in defence: building effective European armed forces Other publications
- Permanent structured cooperation. In defence of the obvious Commentaries
- Permanent structured cooperation in defense of the obvious Security Policy Briefs
- Permanent structured cooperation for effective European armed forces Security Policy Briefs
- An EDA as ambitious as the Lisbon Treaty Other publications
- A Grand Strategy: does it matter in the real world? Security Policy Briefs
- End-state Afghanistan: a European perspective Security Policy Briefs
- End-State Afghanistan Other publications
- End-State Afghanistan Egmont papers