A Strategic Compass for Military Intervention
The Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP) was created to enable the European Union to conduct autonomous military operations outside Europe. Military intervention – the strategy guiding it, the level of ambition, the forces required – is at the heart of the debate on the Strategic Compass, therefore.
This expert seminar, co-organised by the Slovenian Presidency of the EU and the Egmont Institute, will address the two key dimensions of military intervention.
Panel 1 will look at strategy, notably for Europe’s eastern and southern flank. What are the scenarios in which the EU’s interests can compel it to legitimately consider military intervention, following a 360 degrees approach? What is the right balance between executive operations and training and assistance missions in a region where other powers are increasingly militarily active? And how does Europe’s military presence fit in an integrated regional approach?
Panel 2 will assess the military level of ambition. Is the brigade (a 5000-strong “initial entry force”) the right focus for EU operations on the southern and eastern flank? Can the CROC project under PESCO be a way to constitute a modular force package of deployable and sustainable brigades? Which role for maritime, air, and C4ISR assets? What would be the respective roles of the EU and NATO?
The seminar will be held in English – The Chatham House Rule will apply
08.45–09.15 Arrival & Registration
09.15–09.45 Welcome & Introduction
Uroš Lampret, State Secretary Ministry of Defence, Slovenia
Prof. Dr. Sven Biscop, Egmont Institute & Ghent University
09.45–11.15 Panel 1: Strategy
Chair: Sven Biscop
- Jean-Pierre van Aubel, EEAS
- Dina Giluce, Senior Expert (EU Issues) from the Defence Policy Department, Ministry of Defence of the Republic of Latvia
- Captain Alberto Rutteri, Italian Permanent Representation to the EU, Italy
- Dr. Nina Wilén, Egmont Institute & Lund University
11.45–13.15 Panel 2: Forces
Chair: Sven Biscop
- Colonel Gil Rostain, France
- Brigadier General David Humar, Slovenia
- Colonel Thomas Lowin, Section Head Operations, German Military Representative to the EU, Brussels, Germany
- Rear Admiral Saturnino Suanzes, Head of the Strategy Division, Spanish Joint Command, Spain
13.15–14.30 Light Lunch
(Photo credit: Oscar Villar, Flickr)