Jobs, internships and opportunities
Egmont Vacancy: Research Fellow European Affairs (50% position)
The Egmont Institute is seeking to recruit a part-time (50%) Research Fellow for its European Affairs programme. The selected candidate will be expected to undertake policy-oriented research on the governance and policies of the European Union. The deadline for applications is 30 August 2019.
The selected candidate will be expected to deliver high-quality, policy-oriented research output, and contribute to the various outreach activities of the programme.
The candidate may also be called upon to assist in the delivery of specialized training initiatives.
With respect to content, we are looking for candidates with excellent knowledge of the European Union, in particular first-pillar issues.
Specialised knowledge in fields such as the EU’s single market (including its digital dimension), Transport, EMU governance, Energy/Climate, industrial and social policies and their legal Treaty bases, will be taken into account.
- A master’s or doctoral degree in law, economy or social sciences
- A keen interest in European politics and economics (including the Single Market)
- Strong and autonomous research skills and analytical rigour are essential
- Excellent English writing and presentation skills are essential
- Fluency in Dutch, French and/or German will be considered an asset
- Previous experience working in a diplomatic environment, in particular in an EU institution, will be considered a strong asset
- Established contacts with Belgian and/or other universities is a plus
About the Egmont Institute
EGMONT – The Royal Institute for International Relations is an independent think-tank based in Brussels. Its interdisciplinary research is conducted in a spirit of academic freedom. The European Affairs programme aims to stimulate ideas and debate on the question where Europe is heading in the twenty-first century and explore the implications for Belgium, its foreign policy and its citizens. For more information, please visit http://www.egmontinstitute.be/ .
We offer a part-time (50%) contract of two years duration under Belgian law, renewable and subject to periodic assessments. Remuneration will be in accordance with experience and comparable to standard practices in Belgian academia. The Egmont Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
How to apply
Please submit your application as a single PDF-file by 30 August 2019 to email@example.com . In the subject line of your email, please mention “Research Fellow European Affairs: Application (ADD YOUR SURNAME)”. A complete application package contains the following elements:
- A one-page letter of motivation
- A two-page CV
- A copy of the highest diploma obtained
- A list of three references we may contact (including name, function, email, telephone)
- A writing sample, such as a draft European policy brief on a topic of your own choice OR a note outlining your future research ideas (2000 words max)
- A list of publications, if available.
Interviews are expected to take place in September. Due to the expected high number of applicants only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The selected candidate is expected to take up the post in October 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter.