Egmont’s Belgian Presidency Programme
The Egmont’s Belgian Presidency Programme (EBPP) is poised to play a significant role during Belgium’s EU Presidency. At its core, the EBPP seeks to engage a broader Belgian audience, focusing its energy around fundamental themes that are anticipated to help mold the EU Strategic Agenda from 2024 to 2029, such as:
- Industrial Policy and Competitiveness – Tackling the challenges and harnessing the opportunities within the industrial sector to ensure Europe remains competitive on the global stage.
- Just Transition and the Social Agenda – Ensuring that as we transition towards a more sustainable future, it is inclusive, equitable, and socially accountable
- Completing the Green Deal – Emphasizing the commitment to environmental sustainability and ensuring that the European Green Deal reaches its full potential.
- Rule of Law and Democracy – Upholding the pillars of European values, ensuring that democratic principles and the rule of law are preserved and strengthened.
- Enlargement and the future of Europe -Contributing to the forthcoming debate about the purpose and the architecture of an enlarged Union.
- A Safe and Sovereign Europe in a Changing Global Context– Addressing the contemporary geopolitic and geoeconomic challenges and fortifying Europe’s defence mechanism.
The EBPP has mapped out a strategic approach to reinforce the Belgian EU Presidency. This involves harnessing in-house expertise, establishing partnerships, initiating purposeful dialogues, and rolling out Egmont Presidency Papers. Moreover, with initiatives addressing the complexities of migration, the geopolitical intricacies involving Ukraine, and groundbreaking efforts like Nets4Dem to strengthen European democracy, the program is comprehensive in its approach.
The program is structured around projects and events. From the European Commission’s foresight dinners, which are designed to bolster strategic foresight collaborations, to the European University Institute workshop series, which seeks to stimulate debates on the continent’s future. Further initiatives, such as the Tepsa Pre-Presidency Conference, the consolidation of Egmont Foresight Network, and targeted efforts on demography and skills & talent, will complement the EBPP.
Moreover, the EBPP doesn’t tread lightly on contemporary challenges. With initiatives addressing the complexities of migration, the geopolitical intricacies involving Ukraine, and groundbreaking efforts like Nets4Dem to strengthen European democracy, the program is comprehensive in its approach.