Jim Cloos is a former Deputy Director General for General and Institutional Policy at the General Secretariat of the EU Council of Ministers. Between 2001 and 2006, he was a close collaborator of High Representative Javier Solana.
From 1995 to 1999, he was Head of Cabinet to the President of the European Commission and his G7/8 Sherpa. Between 1993 and 1995, he headed the Cabinet of the Commissioner in charge of agriculture. He took an active part in the drafting of the Maastricht Treaty during the Luxembourg Presidency in the first half of 1991.
Jim is the Secretary General of TEPSA - the Trans European Policy Study Association, and a Senior Associate Fellow in the European Affairs Programme of the Egmont Institute.
In 1983, he co-authored 'Les Allemands au coeur de l'Europe' (Fondation pour les Études de Défense Nationale, Paris). 'Le traité de Maastricht: genèse, analyse, commentaires' by Cloos, Reinesch, Vignes, Weyland, Bruylant (appeared in 1993). In 2015, he was one of the co-authors of "National Leaders and the Making of Europe" (John Harper Publishing).
- Book review: Johan Verbeke’s Diplomacy in Practice: A critical approach Books
- The management of the COVID Crisis in 2020: a case study on EU governance Egmont papers
- Relations Between the EU and the UK Commentaries
- European Council Conclusions: A Powerful Tool European Policy Briefs
- A new start for EU-US relations? European Policy Briefs
- Open letter to British friends from a bemused European Commentaries
- Spitzenkandidaten: A debate about power and about the future development of the EU European Policy Briefs