Sophie Heine did her PhD and post-doctoral research within the Belgian FNRS (National Fund for Scientific Research), while teaching some seminars at the ULB (Université Libre de Bruxelles). She then pursued her research at Balliol College (Oxford University) and taught at Queen Mary, University of London (undergraduates and graduate students in Politics and IR).
She was a Senior Research Fellow for the Egmont Institute in 2015-2016 and worked for pan-European civil society organizations based in Brussels.
She has also worked for the private sector as a consultant in Business Development for marketing companies based in the UK, focusing on the Benelux and French markets.
Sophie is an associate to the Department of Politics and International Relations of the University of Oxford. She belongs to the support committee of Stand Up for Europe and is part of the scientific board of the Union of European Federalists - France.
As a researcher, her focus is, among other things, on the following topics : Euroscepticism and its alternatives, European federalism, European sovereignty, the links between collective identity and legitimacy, liberalism and its criticisms, the conceptual and practical stakes of the European Security Union, gender inequalities and EU policies & legislations in that field. She has published several books, articles and reports on these subjects.
· Différentes. libres et égales. Quelques pistes pour parler aux femmes aujourd'hui, Couleur Livres, 2022, Edition indépendante | Couleur livres
· Souveraineté européenne: Réalisme et réformisme radical, Academia, Louvain-La-Neuve, 2021, Amazon.fr - Souveraineté européenne: Réalisme et réformisme radical - Heine, Sophie - Livres
· For a sovereign Europe, Peter Lang, Oxford, 2019, Amazon.fr - For a Sovereign Europe - Heine, Sophie - Livres
· Genre ou liberté: Vers une féminité repensée, Academia, Louvain-La-Neuve, 2015, Amazon.fr - Genre ou liberté: Vers une féminité repensée - Heine, Sophie - Livres
· Une gauche contre l'Europe ?: Les critiques radicales et altermondialistes contre l'Union européenne en France, Editions de l'Université, Bruxelles, 2009, Amazon.fr - Une gauche contre l'Europe ?: Les critiques radicales et altermondialistes contre l'Union européenne en France - Heine, Sophie - Livres
· Eurosceptic or Eurocritical?: Oppositions to the European Union in the French and German Left, LAP Lambert Academic Publishing, omniScriptum S.R.L. London, 2010, Amazon.fr - Eurosceptic or Eurocritical?: Oppositions to the European Union in the French and German Left - Heine, Sophie - Livres
- The rise of euroscepticism in the United Kingdom or the failure of Europeanism Other publications
- Belgium. A discreet and pragmatic europhile approach Other publications
- The rise of single motherhood in the EU: analysis and propositions European Policy Briefs
- Vol. LXVII, Issue 4 (2014): Various shades of federalism: Which responses to the rise of populism and euroscepticism? Studia Diplomatica
- How can we enhance our security without damaging our liberty? European Policy Briefs
- The EU approach to Gender: Limitations and alternatives European Policy Briefs
- European sovereignty and federalism: a necessary alliance to rescue political agency Commentaries
- The Belgian view on the UK’s renegotiation is that European challenges can only be tackled through deepening European integration Commentaries
- Prostitution as a human right: an oxymoron European Policy Briefs
- Identity and euroscepticism as a substitute for political agency: A few lessons from the British elections Commentaries
- The dangers and inanity of (euro-)nationalism. From communitarianism to cosmopolitanism Egmont papers
- Syriza’s call for sovereignty: hopes and illusions Commentaries